Since 1984, the cities of Lae and Cairns have been affiliated as sister cities. This affiliation contributes to strengthening the friendship between Papua New Guinea and Australia, and in particular our two regions. In October 2017 a Cairns business delegation was greatly welcomed by the Honourable Member for Lae, John Rosso MP; the Lae Chamber of Commerce and the Consul-General Lae, Mr Paul Murphy. The success of the delegation resulted in a reciprocal visit to Cairns on 2 February 2018 by the Honourable Governor of Morobe, Ginson Saonu MP and the Honourable Member for Lae, John Rosso MP with a supporting delegation.
Tradelinked Cairns & PNG wishes to facilitate a number of business delegations to Papua New Guinea during 2018 and is seeking expressions of interest from Far North Queensland businesses who would like to participate in one or more of the delegations:
- 20-24 March 2018 – Port Moresby / Lae – to coincide with the Tradelinked PNG Business Networking event in Port Moresby on Tuesday 20 March
- 5-9 August 2018 – Lae / Port Moresby to coincide with the PNG Industrial & Mining Resources Conference & Expo in Port Moresby 8-9 August
- 23-28 October 2018 – Port Moresby / Lae to coincide with the Morobe Show 27-28 October
Delegations to Lae will be supported on the ground by Mr Paul Murphy, Australian Consul General Lae. In Port Moresby delegations will be welcomed by Mr David Knapton, the Senior Trade Commissioner for Austrade. The following sectors have been highlighted; however all businesses are invited to register their interest.
- Education and training
- Tourism marketing
- Construction / refurbishment services, etc
- Water and waste management
- Remote service solutions
- Business development / professional services (ie: community consultation; recruitment, IT systems; compliance; accounting; legal; business planning; financial planning, etc).
The fee for each of the proposed delegations will be in the range of $3,000 - $4,000 (GST inclusive) depending on timeframe; activities and numbers. This will include:
- All flights, food, transport, security and accommodation
- Scheduled group meetings tailored to opportunities to suit your business
- Networking functions with existing and leading organisations and business associations
- Briefings on key economic and industry matters by in-country government representatives
- Site visits to key industry sectors (if deemed necessary)
Note: the cost quoted above will not include travel/health insurance or visa costs.