There are a number of different programs that offer Papua New Guineans and Australians the opportunity to study in each other’s countries.
Opportunities for PNG students to study in Australia
The Australia Awards are sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Students in PNG are eligible to apply for a range of prestigious scholarships and fellowships to support future study, research and professional development. The Australian High Commission in PNG hosts a live Facebook QandA feed relaying tips and advice to potential applicants.
There are a number of categories PNG citizens can apply for under the Australia Awards.
- Australia Awards Scholarships offer opportunities for eligible students to undertake full-time undergraduate or postgraduate study at Australian institutions. Award recipients will be required to return back to PNG for at least two years after they have completed their studies, so they can contribute to the development of PNG.
- Australia Awards Fellowships offer the opportunity for leaders in developing countries to undertake short term study and professional development programs in Australia. They involve networking with Australian organisations and are aimed at increasing the capacity of professionals to advance foreign affairs and development issues of shared interest to both Australia and their home countries.
- Within the Fellowship Program are two agriculture specific awards which are administered by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR). These include the John Allwright Fellowship, an award focusing on postgraduate studies based on research work being carried out under a collaborative research project. There is also the John Dillon Memorial Fellowship, which aims to develop leadership in agricultural research management, agricultural policy and extension technologies.
- The Australia Awards Leadership Program is offered to a select number of Australia Awards recipients each year, who are pinpointed as current and future leaders in their country and professional field. It involves extensive leadership learning and development opportunities for awardees, undertaken in Australia whilst they are completing postgraduate study. This program allows recipients to connect with other awardees from across the globe, as well as key people within government, the private sector and civil society.
- Australia Awards Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships are internationally competitive, merit-based scholarships for which PNG students are eligible, allowing them to undertake study, research and professional development in Australia. The program supports study at the vocational education and training, undergraduate and postgraduate levels, as well as postgraduate and postdoctoral research and professional development opportunities.
Other Opportunities for PNG Citizens
The Scholarships for Development site provides information, important dates and links to a wide range of institution-specific scholarships that PNG citizens may be interested in checking out, including:
- The Swire Educational Trust Postgraduate Scholarship Program
- Monash International Merit Scholarships
- Global Business Scholarship at S P Jain School of Global Management
- University of Sydney Faculty of Science Scholarships for International Students
- La Trobe Academic Excellence Scholarships for International Students
- University of Sydney International Scholarships (USydIS)
- Adelaide Scholarships International (ASI)
- Sydney Achievers International Scholarships
- Melbourne International Research Scholarships (MIRS)
- Macquarie Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarships
- Vice-Chancellor’s International Postgraduate Scholarships at University of Southern Queensland
- Flinders International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (FIPRS)
- The University of Western Australia International Postgraduate Research Scholarships
- International Water Centre Scholarships for International Students
- Rotary International Peace Fellowships
- Endeavour Vocational Education and Training (VET) Scholarship in Australia
- Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarships in Australia for International Students
- Curtin University International Research Scholarships
- ARSA Travel Scholarships for Commonwealth Citizens
- ICE WaRM Masters Scholarship Programme in Water Resources Management for International Students
- Hedley Bull Scholarships in International Affairs at Australian National University
- International Undergraduate Scholarships at University of Adelaide
- Oslo Peace Scholarship at Australian National University
- International Undergraduate Scholarships at University of Queensland
- PNG and Pacific Greg Taylor Scholars at Australian National University
Opportunities for Australian Students to Study in PNG
The Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships are internationally competitive, merit-based scholarships that allow Australians to undertake study, research and professional development overseas and citizens from eligible countries to undertake these activities in Australia. PNG is eligible as both a source and destination country. Australians wishing to undertake vocational education and training, undergraduate and postgraduate study, postgraduate and postdoctoral research or professional development opportunities in PNG may be interested in applying.
The New Colombo Plan provides opportunities for Australian undergraduates to undertake semester-based study and internships or mentorships in participating regional locations. Papua New Guinea is an eligible host location. Australians wishing to expand their knowledge of the Indo-Pacific and engage in making people-to-people and institutional connections should consider applying.
Other useful links
Future Unlimited - Future Unlimited, Study in Australia is the official Australian Government website for international students and contains a helpful database of information for students with a tailored search engine.
International Postgraduate Research Scholarships - The International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) program focuses on improving the quality of Australian research. If you already have a graduate qualification, an IPRS scholarship lets you study in Australia with some of the best researchers in your field. You can read more about these scholarships at the Department of Education website. Or to search for the scholarships, use the search tool on this website.
JASON (Joint academic scholarships online network) - JASON is a postgraduate scholarship search engine. Scholarships in the database apply to Australian students wishing to study at home or abroad, and to international students wishing to study in Australia.